4.04.2007

The Immovable Man

I know that people often speak of what a godly woman looks like. The immediate reference is Proverbs 31. "She is a Proverbs 31 woman," people say of women strong in the spirit and humble in heart. However, we sometimes fail to see what a godly man should look like. Oft-times, I have found that to be true. "I want to be like David, or Jesus, or Abraham," I have found myself saying, but sometimes it is hard to see a clear example of what that looks like.

Then, about a week and a half ago, I decided to begin going though the Psalms. A friend of mine is doing the same and I had never really thought about it. So, I dove in head-first, gleaning as much knowledge and running through as many Psalms a day as there are hours of daylight. I do not say this to boast, only so that you understand that God has given me a passion for His Word recently, so I must speak of it before it eats me alive.

At any rate, I came across Psalm 15 and felt God speak to me through it. This is what He said, "Keith, this is the type of man I have called you to be: You are to be fierce, strong, compassionate and immoveable. If you let me, I will make you such." I know His words were not audible, but my spirit heard them as clear as day. Here is Psalm 15.

Lord, who may abide in Your
tabernacle?
Who may dwell in Your holy
hill?

He who walks uprightly,
And works righteousness,
And speaks the truth in
his heart;
He who does not backbite
with his tongue,
Nor does evil to his
neighbor,
Nor does he take up a
reproach against his
friend;
In whose eyes a vile person is
despised,
But he honors those who
fear the Lord;
He who swears to his own
hurt and does not
change;
He who does not put out his
money at usury,
Nor does he take a bribe
against the innocent.

He who does these things
shall never be moved.

(NKJV)

No comments: