5.08.2007

The Decay of "I love you"

I was talking to this amazing girl last night on the phone, as has become a bit of a habit, and we fell to discussing the effect that language has on the human heart. I found myself telling her that, when a woman tells me she loves me, I am happy and content for a moment. However, the words eventually grow thin in meaning and decay inside my bosom so that the weight of the words is diminished, as am I with them. In their repetition do we find stale meaning.

But lo, when that same woman tells me that I am strong, courageous, fierce, compassionate, even tempered, brave, tender, righteous, etc., I find my heart grow in size so that my hands are not big enough to wrap themselves around this thing inside me and I fall and float, ecstatic. These words translate more fully as love to me than those old words of consumption. Further, they are not used nearly as often so that, when they are, I am leaded with their meaning, boltered in the downpour of its effect on my masculinity. For, though only masculinity can bestow masculinity, the feminine hand and mind was made to help conjure it when it is most needed, not out of thin air, but out of the wild hearts of the men in her life.

Even still, it could be said that women may come to loathe "I love you" as much as I when its bright filigree has faded and it sits in decay in our hearts, empty ashes of words flying from our mouths when fire is due. To them, I hope things like, "you are worthy to be loved," "you do not go unnoticed," and "I count you as a blessing in my life" weigh as heavily and shine as brightly in their hearts as being told I am fierce shines in mine.

8 comments:

aziner said...

That girl must be pretty lucky to get to spend her evenings talking with you. :)

As always, I enjoy reading what you have to say. One of the greatest joys a woman can have is to embolden a man's masculinity. Whether by her words or simply her soft & sweet spirit, it is a great experience to cause someone to rise up and feel the true weight of what it means to be a man of strength and courage & to stoke his desire to wear that mantle to the best of his ability.

From the woman's side, you are right it does mean a great deal to hear things like you mentioned. Those words are honoring to us and end up stored in the deepest parts of our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Wow ;)
Thanks for sharing

joser said...

I had to look up words in your post. I am truly impressed. :) filigree, that's a Vocabulary Workshop word if I ever saw one.

Btw, this is Joe, the selfsame brother-in-law of the Lulla tribe. Joser is my blogspot handle. Joe -> Joseph -> Jose + R, first initial, last name. It works for me.

This explains why the sibs won't return any of ber's emails. They are all otherwise occupied. :)

aziner said...

actually Joe, I didn't respond to the email yet because I was busy contacting the Guinness people to see what the record was for number of times complaining about going to the zoo in one email. They're supposed to get back to me, but I think you might have this one in the bag. ;P (Sorry, Keith, this is entirely unrelated to your blog, I will explain later if you want. I just couldn't let Joe get away with such shenanigans.)

joser said...

Hey now, my complaint was not having to go to the zoo, but being denied an oppotunity to go to the zoo on two previous trips to Omaha. You have to represent my position correctly.

The Omaha zoo is incredible, especially when you compare it to the Houston zoo. How a city the size of Houston can have a zoo that is so bad compared to a city 1/4 its size is beyond me.

Keith said...

Az - I greatly appreciate the bit about a woman's "soft & sweet spirit," which I think is necessary to bring balance to a man's rough and wild heart.

Chappy -- thanks and you're welcome. :)

Joe - good to finally meet you? Thanks for the comment. In all honesty, I have never been to the zoo (seriously) but Azina and I had this conversation where she told me "the Omaha Zoo lives in the shadow of the San Diego Zoo; it just isn't right." I laughed pretty hard on that. I think I have to see both of them before I can decide. How did you guys get so addicted to freakin' zoos anyway, especially those with "indoor jungles" and "indoor deserts"?

aziner said...

Glad you liked that part. :)

haha you crack me up, but you're really missing out on this zoo thing, which we will have to rectify soon. Zoos are great because of all the animals. It's not about enjoying the outdoors while indoors; it's about experiencing so many different animals in a safe environment. (Not all of us are into hiking with cougars. ;) ) Oh! And the petting zoo! It's all good stuff, we really have to get you to a zoo.

Joe, I think I have the answers you seek:
1. Omaha is the greatest city in the world.
2. You can't expect us to go to the zoo when it is 2 degrees outside or when there is no time once you arrive in Omaha due to graduations or something, I can't even remember. But yes we will go this time, don't worry.

Keith said...

First, hi Shauna! And I definitely agree with you. My words are given meaning through the endowment of my actions. I hope that goes without saying and that I live up to the standards placed on me, both by God and the people important to me. Anyway, I totally get it.

Azina, we definitely need to get to a zoo. That would be great.