10.03.2006

A Few Random Acts of Insomnia

I can't sleep. My eyes water and hurt and I still can't manage to get more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night. I thought I would be a better writer because of this damned affliction. I'm not. As a matter of fact, I'm probably a hell of a lot worse, mostly because I'm not writing anything right now.

I'm reading.

I'm running through this great book that is challenging my beliefs and theology in a new and exciting sort of way. It's called Velvet Elvis by a guy from Michigan named Rob Bell. Seriously, you need to pick it up. Seriously.

On another topic, totally unrelated, I miss the writings of Pete. Piete. Whatever. Anyway, we were emailing one another some things we were working on. He was getting Derailed Arts up and running and I, well, I could always use someone to peruse my writing. Things sort of fell apart, though, and I haven't heard from him in a bit. It's sort of depressing, especially as DA still isn't working. Oh, and he hasn't blogged anything new in almost a year.

But I swear I'm not bitter.

We got a new guy at work today. His name is Taylor. I don't know what to think about him, except that he is sort of a pretty boy, real quiet thus far, and I don't like his name. Hopefully, he won't be a doofus, he'll open up, and things will be cool.

Finally, Brian is quitting. Er . . . he is being forced to quit. That really sucks.

You should read Velvet Elvis.

5 comments:

Mark said...

WHy did you like Velvet Elvis?

What did you learn from it? Why did you find it beneficial?

Keith said...

Hey Mark,
I liked Velvet Elvis a lot because of how refreshing it was. For starters, though I didn't agree with everything in it, I fully appreciated his ability to make me think of my faith in a new dynamic. As an example, Rob Bell makes a point to say that we aren't "saved" from hell, or going to heaven so much as it is now our role to help God bring heaven to earth, to bring a sense of love and perfection to an otherwise loveless world. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the language he uses; though is can feel elementary at times, he discusses how the OT and NT relate, especially throughout the life of Jesus. He goes through Hebrew principles like the yoke and binding and releasing as they related to Jesus and Hebrew teachings. He also touches on other things like why the disciples were chosen, how Jesus' two "references" if you will were John the Baptist and the Father, and a few other things. I would really rather not spoil it for you, should you choose to read it.
Lastly, your daughter is beautiful and I hope you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Keith,
Thanks for your response. I may read it soon, because I've heard others talk about it, and have heard some things that concern me a bit. Probably some of the parts you say you didn't agree with.

One thing, I'd be careful about diminishing the significance of being saved from hell, and the gift of going to heaven. Those are pretty huge themes in the Bible. Not to mention pretty hugely important for anyone concerned about how they'll spend the 10 billion years after their first 70:)

I'd be interested to discuss the book with you if I ever read it.

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

Mark, I think discussion would be great. I am largely aware of the signifigance of heaven and hell, though I do feel as though some, many really, concern themselves with fire insurance in the after-life and do too little for too long to bring glory to God in their lives when it really matters, in the now.
As I said, there are some things that I disagree with, especially his close resemblance to Relativism and his belief that some of the Bible can be true, even if a point or two, or twenty, are found to be untrue. (which wont happen.) I think you see where I am going with this.