5.12.2010

In the barn

Just a writing exercise to keep me writing...

-----------------------

We lay in the haystacks, breathing heavily. The deep shade from the barn loft hid the seawater of her eyes from me. Sweat began to glisten and stick below my t-shirt. I lay there, panting. In, a maelstrom of cool air into my nose. Out, a tornado of warmth out my mouth. She rolled onto her side, propping up her head with an arm, looking at me.

Not staring, just casually observing.

We lay like that a while. I, on my back, mostly staring at the roof of the barn, counting the spiderwebs and chips in the paint. She, on her side, observing me with a grin in her eyes until I could stand it no longer. I rolled to my side and matched her posture.

"May I help you?," I asked.

"Oh, you already have, darlin'. Though, I could always use a little MORE help."

Women are not supposed to talk this way, I figured. At least, I had never heard such. She grinned at me, her black hair falling into her eyes, she sweeping it away with her hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Women aren't supposed to talk what way?

Keith said...

Based on the dialogue and time period this was written into, one can assume this takes place pre-1920. As such, the views held regarding women in society were vastly different than they currently stand. That said, we can also assume by the protagonist's thought process, especially in saying "At least, I had never heard such," that the female character is both a touch older and more experienced than the young protagonist, who, with a beautiful woman lying naked beside him, finds himself able to count the "cobwebs and paint chips." It's a case of time period and naivete, Anonymous, not of the Author's implied views on women and the way they are supposed to be speaking.